We speak to this year’s winner of the ‘Face of LIYSF’, Lauren Fagan. Lauren was a participant at 2013’s London International Youth Science Forum, an Irish delegate also representing Dublin City University.
Profile:
Name: Lauren Fagan (LIYSF 2013)Country: Ireland
Education: Currently studying Analytical Science at Dublin City University
Hobbies: Dance, athletics, reading and science of course!
Tell us about what you’re studying at the moment!
“I am currently undertaking my second year of an Honours Bachelor degree in Analytical Science, studying at Dublin City University. I am really enjoying my time at DCU and trying to seize every opportunity that comes my way. In addition to my studies, I am independently undertaking bioinformatic research into the genetic evolution of the flu virus, in particular H1N1 (swine flu) strain.“During June 2014, I will hopefully travel to Ghana with a medical brigade from DCU Global Brigades and in the future I hope to study Medicine in the U.K. after having completed my primary degree.”
So Lauren, what were your thoughts on LIYSF 2013?
“I can only describe LIYSF as life-changing and inspirational. It has encouraged me to try to embody greatness and to have pride in my work. My overall experience at the forum was one filled with new knowledge, many new culturally and ethnically diverse friends from around the world, and magical memories. The forum made me think that I could change the world - or at least a little piece of it - and now I intend on tackling every challenge I face with this attitude.”
Congratulations on being the Face of LIYSF 2014! What were your key highlights from the forum?
What would you offer as advice for anyone thinking about attending LIYSF?
“My advice would be to apply to attend as soon as possible, you won’t regret it! LIYSF is so much more than I ever expected and I feel so privileged to have experienced what it has to offer. If you are thinking of attending and are lucky enough to become a participant you should get involved in every aspect of the forum. The more you put into the forum, the more you will get from it. In short, if you are thinking of applying, go for it! New memories are waiting to be made!”
What was your favourite event during the forum?
“It is very difficult to choose a favourite event from during the forum but I think for me it was the Participant’s Forum. Fortunately, I was chosen as one of the six speakers at the Participant’s Forum - a series of scientifically based debates which are opened to the floor after each side’s initial speaker has spoken. I was arguing for the motion “Is the current way science is taught in schools outdated?” I thoroughly enjoyed speaking in front of the Forum members, giving my views on the topic and the ensuing arguments.
What does it mean to be chosen as our 2014 ambassador?
Appropriate words are difficult to come by as I try to describe my experiences at LIYSF. Now, to have become LIYSF 2014's ambassador I feel a sense of responsibility to embody and convey the message of LIYSF. I am privileged to have been given this opportunity and it means a great deal to me. I hope to be a good ambassador of the forum, encouraging new participants to take part in 2014, and keeping strong contact with 2013 participants.
Describe your experience at the forum in 3 words!Overwhelmingly, extraordinarily wonderful! (I wish I could use more than three words!)

No comments:
Post a Comment